2020 home remodeling trends – are you on-brand and in style?
In 2020, many of us have spent more time at home than we could have ever thought possible and, as a result, people are seeking new ways to enjoy their time at home.
For many of us, our homes have moved away from being the refuge from a long day and into the place we spend nearly all our time. A recent study conducted by Houzz revealed that “many homeowners are considering major home remodeling and design projects” as a direct result of more time at home. As the nature of how we use our homes continues to change, we’re seeing outdoor, master bathroom, and kitchen remodeling projects being the most popular ‘type’ of upgrades.
Whether you’re looking to begin a DIY home remodeling project or design the next great home remodeling project, our lists boast the biggest home design trends to keep you on-brand and in style for the rest of 2020.
Outdoor Remodeling Projects
In 2020, outdoor remodeling projects have become just as, if not more, important than interior improvement projects. With ‘staying in’ becoming the new ‘going out’, many homeowners are now looking for ways to create outdoor spaces that bridge the gap between their interior spaces. Now more than ever, people are looking for new ways to integrate the ‘indoor’ designs they love to the great outdoors. Here’s our list of some trending outdoor remodeling trends in 2020.
- Outdoor accents: According to a recent article by Better Homes & Gardens, consumers are beginning to “gravitate towards brighter colors”. As decorative color ‘pops’ continue to increase in popularity, don’t be surprised if you start seeing more and more softer shades of yellow, orange, green, pink, and other pastel hues become more commonplace in new outdoor remodeling projects.
- Biophilic design: As we continue to push for new ways to incorporate nature into our homes, biophilic design is becoming extremely popular in new outdoor remodeling projects. With so many physical and mental health benefits associated with being in nature, homeowners are searching for new ways to integrate natural elements into their backyard design projects. Decks, trellis fences (and screens), and other elements that incorporate a ‘natural wood’ look are just a few of the ways people are integrating outdoor spaces with their surroundings.
- Stylish flooring: Blending complementary colors from the home’s interior onto deck surfaces is just one way that homeowners are attempting to blur the distinction between indoor and outdoor spaces. With a bigger push towards integrative design options, we can expect to see more stylish flooring options, deck inlays, and varied-width planks being used in an effort to create subtle patterns.
Bathroom Remodeling Projects
Has all the extra time at home left you seeking refuge from everything else going on around you? Are you feeling inspired to get back to work on creating the bathroom escape of your dreams? If so, we’ve got some great tips to help you to design your an elegant and luxurious bathroom remodel you will enjoy for years to come.
- High-tech bathroom upgrades: More and more, bathroom remodel designs are embracing technology. From toilet seat warmers, to automatic lid openers, heated floors, and more, homeowners are looking for new ways to integrate technology into their bathroom remodeling projects. As we move closer to 2021, we can expect to see bathroom designs continue to incorporate smart showers, automatic sinks, and Bluetooth functionality become standard features of bathroom remodels.
- Brass and gold are back: Brass and gold fixtures have seen a resurgence in popularity in 2020 and offer a great way to add depth, dimension, and a luxurious feel to any space. Additionally, brass and gold fixtures are a great way to capture a ‘classic’ look that easily hides pesky fingerprints and water spots.
- Color pops: Outdoor remodels aren’t the only type of home renovation project that are looking to add some color this year. Long gone are the days where gray tones dominated the bathroom color scheme. Now, pops of color that pair nicely with a neutral shade, as we’ve recently seen in both outdoor, as well as, kitchen remodeling projects. With color being linked to affecting mood, inspiring creativity, and increasing calm, there’s never been a better time to incorporate some vibrant color pops to your dream bathroom design.
Kitchen Remodeling Projects
There’s never been a better time to increase the functionality and aesthetic of your kitchen. With all the extra time at home, more families are choosing home-cooked meals over take-out prompting many of us to consider a kitchen remodeling project. Here’s a few of our favorite kitchen design trends from 2020:
- Textural elements and nature-friendly design: Over the past year, we’ve seen a push to incorporate the ‘great outdoors’ into new kitchen designs with colors like, black, brown, gray, and beige being some of the most on-brand color selections. With regard to lighting, warm tones like golden and copper and adding matte finishes to shiny surfaces are gaining popularity.
- Vibrant appliances: Using color as a design element is arguably one of the most popular design trends in 2020. Just as we saw with outdoor and bathroom design trends, one of the most popular ways to brighten up and ‘personalize’ a kitchen design is adding a colorful appliance. As an added bonus, colorful appliances can be great statement pieces and add warmth to an otherwise ‘all-white’ kitchen design.
Looking for more ways to breathe new life into your existing space?
Check out our blog for all the latest remodeling and design trends, construction news, and examples of our work. Likewise if you’re in the coastal Orange County, CA area and looking to get started on a remodeling project, we can help. Contact Chris Riggins Construction today to find out how we can bring the vision for your dream remodeling project to life!