Bathroom remodeling in Orange County
Regardless of whether your looking to remodel your powder room or master bathroom, functionality should be at the heart of your bathroom remodeling project. A bathroom remodeling project is a great opportunity for you to add additional storage, improve the lighting, and generally outfit your bathroom so you can enjoy it for many years to come.
Things to consider before your bathroom remodel:
- Shower versus tub: One of the most difficult decisions homeowners face when planning their bathroom remodeling project is whether to go with a bathtub or a walk-in shower. This question is perhaps the most difficult because both options provide their own unique benefits.
- Some benefits of featuring a shower in your bathroom remodel: Some of the benefits of having a shower-only unit are space, accessibility, and water usage. Showers take up considerably less space than tubs and provide homeowners with more open space within the bathroom. Showers are also great options for homeowners remodeling their bathroom so they can age in place because walk-in showers are much easier to get in and out of than bathtubs. Finally, showers use less water than bathtubs. When you bathe in a shower, you are only using an average of 20 gallons of water each time you use it, whereas bathing in a tub generally requires roughly 30 gallons each time you use it.
- Some benefits of featuring a tub in your bathroom remodel: Installing or updating your existing bathtub can also provide a homeowner with a number of benefits, like increased resale value and ease of installation. Tubs are still considered one of the best ways to preserve, and objectively increase, the resale value of the home. According to a survey by the National Association of Home Builders, 51 percent of home buyers prefer a “full bathroom”, or a bathroom with a tub. This applies to both single and married home buyers. Installing a bathtub is also significantly less work than a shower.
While you may be tempted to rip out that old tub and install a walk-in shower, you need to consider the potential implications. If you ever plan on selling your house in the future, removing the tub will make it harder to sell your home to expectant couples or families with small children. If you have two bathrooms in your home, you may want to plan your bathroom remodeling project to feature a bathtub in your master suite and a shower-only option in your guest bathroom.
Bathroom remodeling tips
- Plumbing: People are often surprised at how much hair and other gunk actually goes down bathroom drains.
- Lighting: Creating the perfect lighting scheme is a huge consideration for your bathroom remodeling project. One of the best ways to get started is determining how you’ll be using your bathroom and whether this setup will require a more aesthetic or decorative lighting configuration. Will you be using the mirror to apply make-up or shave? If this is the case, you’re more than likely to want to incorporate some strategically placed bright light fixtures to get a close-up on what you’re doing. You need to determine whether you want aesthetic or functional lighting. If you’re more interested in having your bathroom serve as a relaxing escape from the daily grind, you may want to consider a more decorative lighting scheme and install a dimmer switch that will allow you to control the mood in your bathroom.
- Medicine cabinets: You may want to check and see if you have the space to recess your medicine cabinet. If you have a shallow vanity, recessing your medicine cabinet is a great way to save a few inches and the additional framing that’s required usually won’t break the bank.
- Wall-hung toilets: In recent years, wall-hung toilets have grown extremely popular due to their cost-efficiency and ability to save space. The only considerations you need to make for wall-mounted toilets are potential plumbing upgrades that may accompany it.
- Shower windows: Adding a window in your shower is a great way to modernize the space and make it more inviting. Adding a window to your windowless bathroom is also a great way to make your space appear larger. If you have privacy concerns, a frosted-glass panel is a great way to ensure you can reap the benefits of adding a window to the bathroom without sacrificing your privacy.
The experienced design-build team at Chris Riggins Construction has been helping Orange County residents with whole home renovations, kitchen remodels, and one-of-a-kind bathroom remodeling projects for over 15 years. Our expert team is well-versed in the latest design trends and techniques and can help you create a space that you will enjoy for years to come.
If you’re looking to get started on a bathroom remodeling project we can help you bring the vision of your dream bathroom to life! Contact us today!