If you’ve decided to build a new custom home in Orange County CA with a design build contractor, first and foremost, we want to say congratulations! We know this is an exciting—and often slightly scary—time for you and your family. You’ve likely already thought through the most important aspects to consider before building a custom home (but if not, be sure to check out our post on 5 Things To Consider Before Building A Custom Home). Now, if you’re ready to start looking for someone to hire for your big project, you’re probably wondering how to choose the right design build contractor. Don’t worry, we’re here to help with some simple ways you can get started with your search and select an OC Design Build Contractor with confidence.
1. Ask the right questions of the right people.
According to buildingadvisor.com, since you are hiring both a designer and a contractor, you should ask the same sorts of questions you would ask an architect/designer, plus the questions you would ask of a contractor. In evaluating a company, keep their design side and construction side separate, as you might like one and not the other. For both the designer and the general contractor sides, ask them each for the following: a portfolio of examples of past projects, details on their work process, timelines, cost ranges, and so on. Then be sure to speak with others on their team as well as get references for past clients you can talk to about their experiences working with the designer/general contractor.
2. Remember why you’re choosing to hire a design-build contractor.
In general, there are two main
approaches to managing a home building project: a two-phase process (design,
and then build) or a single, concurrent process called design-build. If you’ve
decided to go with a design-build firm, keep in mind the following benefits—and
don’t compromise in these areas when searching for an experienced, reliable
- Proven results, faster and better builds. Design-build saves time and money while allowing for more innovation, collaboration, and better projects.
- One contract, one entity. In design-build, a single entity (like Chris Riggins Construction) works with you and manages the entire project from start to finish. There is no need to research, hire, and coordinate with several different contractors or companies.
- Better teamwork, better results. With designers and builders united from the start of the project, an integrated team is ready and willing to work together to successfully complete an Orange County CA Design Build project faster, more cost-effectively, and with optimized project quality.
- Less complicated, fewer worries. Major changes and disputes are less common in design-build projects because a single contract makes for a less-complicated and smoother process for everyone involved—including you, the homeowner. In other forms of project delivery, the homeowner becomes the middle person and can potentially become engaged in disputes between the multiple entities (designer, builder, and other contractors)—don’t let this happen to you!
3. Evaluate if it’s a good fit overall.
Sometimes we can get so focused on evaluating a contractor’s or company’s portfolio, experience, style, price, and so on, that we forget to think about how we actually feel about potentially working with them overall. In other words, do you like them as people? Do they “get” you? Do they seem relatively easy to communicate with? Are they willing to listen to your needs and help you make decisions in a way that feels comfortable to you? At the end of the day, these issues can end up making or breaking a project—so don’t forget to really think about the interpersonal aspects you’ll be dealing with when you decide who to hire to help you get your dream OC design-build home .
At Chris Riggins Construction, our design-build process is a tried and true progression of three main phases: the planning and design phase (pre-construction), the construction phase, and the post-construction phase. And perhaps most importantly, we’ve gained an outstanding reputation because of the unparalleled service we provide our clients. But don’t just take our word for it—check out our customer reviews to hear what folks are saying about working with us. Then contact Chris Riggins Construction to begin planning your new home build in Orange County CA today!